Saturday, April 26, 2008

~Research Paper Topic~

The topic I want to write about for my research paper is about how indigenous people are being affected by the climate change or global warming. I think that the poor indigenous people are being the most affected by all this climate change going on, therefore I want to write about how they’re being affected. I would like to write how they are being affected in terms of their land. Also about their rights being violated. I would like to write this paper and for every one who doesn’t care about global warming. I think that that people who are going around contributing to global warming do not know how indigenous are being affected all over the world. Also, I would like to write it to the government because they are the ones who least care about the rights of indigenous people.
The sources I am planning on using are:


UNPFII. International Expert Group Meeting on Indigenous Peoples and Climate Change. April 2008. http://www.un.org/esa/socdev/unpfii/en/EGM_CS08.html

I find this site to be helpful because it includes discussions form different meetings held at the United Nations focusing on the issues involving indigenous people and global warming. This site contains various links with very helpful information about the topic I want to write. This information is helpful because I can get some more facts on how the indigenous are being affected, and what’s going on with them right now.

Word Press. Los pueblos indigenas mas afectados por el cambio climatico describen los impactos. April 5, 2008. http://calentamientoglobalclima.org/2008/04/05/los-pueblos-indigenas-mas-afectados-por-el-cambio-climatico-describen-los-impactos/

This second link is in Spanish, but I find it very helpful since it focuses exactly on the topic I want to write about. It describes how these people are being affected; it goes from one part of the globe to the other. This will be useful in my research because I will be able to write about the effects on indigenous due to global warming.

Byg Anja, Salick Jan. Indigenous People and Cimate Change. May 2007. http://www.tyndall.ac.uk/publications/Indigenouspeoples.pdf

This site is very interesting because it is actually a document that was written in Oxford University and was published in part of Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research, Oxford. This is helpful because it contains ideas on how the indigenous people can contribute in helping the ecosystem. It describes struggles that indigenous people from specific locations are going through, and who are in more danger.

3 comments:

Fletcher said...

I really like your idea, but I'm also rather confused.

You mention "indigenous people" repeatedly, but you never specify which ones. Anyone native to a land, regardless of the land itself, is indigenous.

So do you mean Indians? (I don't use the term "Native Americans," it's wrong). Or Aboriginees? And if so, which Aboriginees (asian, australian, etc).

I genuinely think you're onto a winner for the idea, but focus on one particular group instead of the broader idea of indigenous people.

Marock said...

I like your materials, but I agree with Fletcher's opinion. Also, I have a question. what is indigenous people exactly? don't be upset. I just confuse and want to know it exactly.

Doctor X said...

You need to pick a group of people.